Building News
Information, news and updates in the world of building.

It is easy for me to fall into the trap of using jargon in these blogs or elsewhere on the website that I take for granted but you may not have a clue about. So every now and then I will let you into the secrets of our trade talk. Hopefully it may give you a clue as to what we are wittering on about!

Here are some of the more commonly used words when talking about conservatories, together with a brief explanation:

• Abutment – this is the side of the conservatory that adjoins the existing building
• Base wall – a low brick wall of just a few courses of brick which is found at the base of a conservatory
• Crest – a decorative feature often found on the roof of a conservatory
• Edwardian conservatory – square shaped conservatory under an apex roof
• Full-fill cavity – a cavity wall that has been fully filled with insulation
• Joist – a horizontal metal or wood beam which can support a floor, wall or ceiling
• Lean-to conservatory – a conservatory that attaches to a house, usually rectangular shaped with a slanted roof
• Lintel – horizontal beam supporting the wall above a door or window opening
• Party wall – the boundary between 2 properties over which both have rights
• PVCu – previously known as uPVC, this is polyvinyl unplasticised and is a material used to make conservatory frames, doors and windows. Alternatives are aluminium and hardwood
• RSJ – this is a rolled steel joint and is used as a structural support across very wide openings
• Sleeper wall – a low wall that supports ground floor joists
• Victorian conservatory – a conservatory with more than four sides, topped with an apex roof and usually featuring a crest

If you are in Gloucestershire and are considering having a new conservatory, then do give me a call on 01684 772935 or 07885 293791.